Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ok, the first experiment has shown that I do make mistakes, which was unnecessary to be proven, but still interesting to know.

The first thing needed to be known – there is no such a thing as “the English grammar” mentioned in my message yesterday. It should be just “English grammar”. Perhaps there`s no explanation, so I`ll try to remember.

My second insight is that English and Russian punctuation differs. As I got it now - the theory about (no article) English punctuation is that you may reject the words within the commas with no significant harm to the sentence. The theory about Russian punctuation is so huge that I won`t even start.

Example:
Being Russian in your mind - you`ll write using the commas like this: “Got my sandwich, and then I went shopping to the supermarket, where I found some French movie, which I finally bought, and still pretty excited about that, but right now I am back at work and have a lot of other funny things to do”. The remark that this whole sentence may be well rejected won`t be accepted.
In English you`ll probably use: “The lunch was okay” construction.

No comments: