Sunday, February 24, 2008

Marc Levy in Moscow


The famous French writer Marc Levy was in Moscow yesterday, which was the Defenders` Day here (the former holiday of the Soviet Army). As for Marc Lavy, the meeting took place in one of the largest bookstores in the center of Moscow (the Loubyanka square, if that says anything to you, but let me tell you - that`s close to the KGB building).

The meeting was nice, though overcrowded. Marc looked tired and a bit harassed by cameras all around, but managed to speak quietly, meaningfully and with a good humour. His translator was quite a character, with long blond hair, quietly ironical, sort of nicely cynical. I like people with such eyes - a mixture of cheerfulness and sadness. I didn`t participate in questions&answers session, though enjoyed listening to what other people were interested to know: his favorite writer (BTW Romain Gary), whether he liked the movie based on his book, does English language influence his French, does his international experience help etc). As for the autograph - I asked for one, because I wanted "a blessing" from a real and a successful writer for my ongoing and future projects. So I told him what I was translating at the moment and asked him to wish me luck. My "speech" was quick, brief and bilingual. He was nice enough to write a couple of nice words on my (well, his) book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dear Lana,
I am so jealous that you got the chance to listen to that wonderful man. I can read his books in no time (knowing that I am a slow readers could give you a clew of the consequences loool )
I hope you are doing great
Emms

Lana Passey said...

Hello my Mimi (Emms these days!),
that was an interesting meeting, with questions and answers. He looked a bit lost cuz the crowd all around, but really very nice and sincere.
There are already 6 or 7 his books translated in Russian, that`s a success I guess)))
Hello to the place where you are now))
Lana (La-la)