Thursday, July 10, 2008

Artistic and artificial

Some examples of arts in Riga.
Art of music

Art of graffiti


Art of sculpture

Art of bridge engineering (the river Daugava, dividing the capital). The floristic design on the barrier is one of the traditional Latvian ornaments.

Art of combining old and new

Art of surviving

Art of keeping the world (example of “Modern” architecture, “Jugendstil”)

Should be Art of protecting the town from sticky ads.

Art of modern technologies (okay, we still don`t have it in Moscow, but in Riga you can enjoy Wi-Fi thanks to a regular phone box)

Art of making good candies. “Laima” is the name of the confectionery factory, producing chocolate and stuff since before I was born, and I have known about that since soon after I was born. “Laima” actually means “Happiness”.


I was hoping that`s about the Art of literature, because the face on the tram looks like Poushkine (the great Russian poet), but the “1181” digits confuse me a bit, as he was born much later this date (presumably that`s a date).

Art of making everything lovely and beautiful

To be continued... ciao!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Accidentally found your blog. I'm from Riga, but seeing my city through the eyes of foreigner is damn interesting. Thank you!
By the way: "Laima" does not mean "Happines". Laima is name of goddess from ancient Latvian mythology. "Happiness" is "laime". Don't worry - those words are so similar, and I'm sure most of young Latvians don't know the difference. :)

Diggits on tram next to Pushkins portret is adverisement of russian speaking phone-info-line, not a year. :)

Hope you had a nice time in Latvia! :)

Lana Passey said...

Hello! Glad you liked my modest story! As for me I loved being in Riga, lots of nice memories :)

And thanks for explanations! So interesting to know these new details!

Have a nice day :)