Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Significance of signs

Hello... still have something about Riga, and signboards are scheduled for today. Even if the signs` choice doesn`t look impressive, however it is possible to see a little bit of Riga (which I`ve liked) on the pictures posted, so enjoy!

Everybody can recognize the respectable lawyers` style.

I was quite confident that was the Ministry of Health etc (was mislead by a snake-like something in the hands of a personage whom I supposed to be an ancient god of medicine or something), but apparently that is the Ministry of Education and Science.

“Haoss” looks very much like “Chaos” for me, but that`s how the Latvians always add two “ss” in the end.

Two more examples: 1 -

2 - Kvass (that`s a drink, made of fermented bread or vegetables)

Actually the “indekss” displays the “ss” theory again.
Rezekne bus station – it was on the way to Riga. And it was the first and only Latvian town I had visited in my childhood. It was the Soviet Union times then, and all I remember – it felt really “foreign” there, like in Western Europe – whatever picture of “foreignness” I had in my mind. They also make a sweet condensed milk there (in Rezekne), and though it is difficult to be described now but it is quite a divine stuff. It was for sure.

My bus by the way. A night in a bus that`s a bit too much, though still possible. Talkative neighbors, movies without proper sound, questionable lavatory, some food for extra money, some time on the frontier and a burning desire to lay down – all was fun, sort of.

Back to signs, no comments












Just a serious way to number the buildings.

The cigars` shop, obviously.

That`s actually my first hostel in Riga – the night-time noisy one. Good but noisy. As for my second one, it had the “Posh” word in its name and was situated on the city market, so I guess no comments or pictures needed.
My third hoStel (and I was changing them everyday to make it more diverse) – is a dodgy one according to the picture, with its ambition to be a hoTel. For the sake of truth – the actual advert was totally honest, so no problem with recommending it.
I admit I need to stop with Riga one day soon, but still enjoy showing it here. Have fun!

No comments: