Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Culture Now, writing essay, mistaking and voting

“Culture Now”, the online social magazine about art, design and media, holds a writing competition about ZEITGEIST, apparently the spirit of the time. Never heard this English word before, thanks. Everything is on a weekly basis there. The topic is announced every week, the following week three finalists are being chosen, then the readers are voting for a week, and then the winner is announced and gets a hundred bucks worth gift card for Apple or Amazon by the way.

There are three finalists this week and one of them is me! Of course there is a story how I found this website, but will try not be distracted today. I am quite pleased that they accepted my participation (sometimes citizenship or location nuances are reasons for rejection), and now, lucky me, I managed to submit. My topic was about design, whether it could save the world.

Now to more (self) important part. Today I clearly see that awful mistake in the very first paragraph of my opus. “Does it worth?” Oh no. Shame on me, shame. Already see all of you seating and scratching your chins, saying something like “Oh poor...”. And I can`t even concentrate on reading the rest of my text and other essays – too overwhelming for the moment...

In such circumstances it is challenging to advertise myself and suggest you to vote. On the other hand, here is where to read and vote (needs registration for voting).

And of course the strongest should be the winner. But maybe we can pretend that mine is sort of an accent? Or maybe I deserve something like “Miss Charming and Grammar mistakes” award? Maybe you like my white helmet? Anyway it is not about the prize – we are speaking BIG here :) That is not about me getting gift cards, but me writing in English, hurrah :) And also interesting to feel this emotion - perhaps something like, for example, a real film director may feel when he is afraid to watch his movie. Mixture of fear and desire to share. So, to cut it short, even feeling a bit weird and awkward now, I confess about the stuff.

No comments: