Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rambler

The first email I had, and the one I am still actively using, is on the Rambler.ru web portal. When Internet appeared in my life – when being a lawyer in Vladimir I asked my boss to provide me Internet access, which a bit later but finally has totally changed my life – the first advice was to start from “the Rambler”. It was the first Russian language search engine and the first full web portal, with all typical options. There were the first online news I read, and my first email account... Briefly, it was my very first Internet. It was actually not that long time ago (am a late bloomer) - like 2003, and before that… I just had regular life. The Rambler itself appeared in 1996, but who knew?!

Funny enough, it`s only recently I began to understand the word “rambler” in English. I never thought about it as about an English word – it was just some Internet technical term for me. But as life was moving on, once I discovered the actual meaning of the word ‘rambler”. And surprisingly it was not something completely different from me and my way. Rambling around... I went to US in 2004 using my Rambler mail. I was getting my international visas through it. I got an interview for my Moscow job in 2005. I met several very important - for me - people in my life through that web source.

Yesterday the founder of Rambler, Dmitry Kryukov, died in his Moscow office at the age of 48. http://www.computerra.ru

No comments: