Saturday, June 14, 2008

One more hello from Riga

So what can I say after one more night here? The second hostel was not better than the first one but it was different :) It was quieter anyway but looking forward for the next one.

Yesterday visited the Military Museum of Latvia (admission free). A bit unusual experience because it is the history from the latvian point of view, with swastikas for example. But strangely I found it rather pure if you know what I mean. I mean - their part of the story sounds quite logical, so easy to accept, not that I was blamimg the Soviet Union, anyway that`s a complicated story. Briefly, I definitely glad to know something new from their side.

I also had a bit of market experience yesterday, the hostel is close anyway. The Riga market is the biggest in the Baltic states (have to check my guides not to lie here, but it`s big anyway). They have four huge pavilions - with cheese (red, yellow etc because of different spices), meat (some smoked is very famous for being extremely tasty), fish (again, all kinds, salty, smoked), and I think the fourth one is for fruit and flowers. I ended uo buying only some strawberries for supper :) Today going to buy some cheese to take away to Moscow - several small samples of everything as they are delicious.

BTW - no acces to my Rambler email from here, so...
UPD - my guide (piece of paper) says that the local market is the biggest in Europe :)

No comments: