Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Oscar, la Dame Rose et moi

(*and forgive that immodest title today)

Salute, time to briefly testify what happened.

So there was me and the trip to Belgium. And there was the route looking like: night train from Moscow to Vilnius, then plane to Paris, and train to Brussels after, with some buses and underground in between. Which actually saved me some money on travel expenses and - as a bonus - kept me out of Moscow for a week. Fair enough. Plus sure there were lots of walks - me changing hotels every day because last minute booking (and that`s literally) is seldom a reasonable idea. Yes, my logistics was challenged by several obstacles but finally was precise and perfect enough.

- Paris, Brussels… what were you doing there?!
- Moving every single day to the next hotel.


All that doesn`t really matter because finally there was me in the real (!) cinema-studio outside the Belgium capital. Watching (and for the first time in my life) how the movie is being done... No idea how to describe that but let me put it clear: that was wonderful. And nothing else to add here, that was totally amazing and interesting in every moment. Honestly I was hoping to participate more actively, like carrying cables or stuff, but I had a chance just to observe things with a minor physical activity (like passing a special black screen covering unnecessary light once, come on, am proud of it). And that`s only fair, was glad to follow the rules.

I definitely saw what a professional business movie-making is. Perhaps that is an obvious statement but it`s always handy to see things in real. The documents and planning, the team work, working for one project which by the way keeps people together just temporarily. “Silence, Action and Cut” rhythm of activity. Whatever interesting conversation you have you stop it after the “Action!” word and nobody can guarantee you will remember it after the “Cut!” word. Being the real two-day long witness I respect cinema people on a new level now. And everybody was just nice, gentle and open. Lunches were also good.

So the film... Since last Monday Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt is shooting his second film (second as the film director, because there are already several others based on his books but made by other directors). Now it is “Oscar and the Lady in pink”, already a real success as a book and as a theatrical play in many countries.

On the photo: Michele Laroque ("Lady in Pink"), Amir Ben Abdelmoumen ("Oscar") and Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt (author and film director). Photos taken from www.michelelaroque.com.
The shooting should be finished in January, though in Canada.

Oscar, interpreted by the little bruxellois Amir, doesn`t look the same now, because... have you finally read the book?

The story has been rewritten for the scenario and for a good reason – to show the evolution of the character. Of one of the characters... That will be a film worth watching, no doubt. Not that I was signing any documents concerning confidentiality but just don`t want to spoil pleasure of expectation for you, so... suspense.

Needless to say how much I appreciate what happened. New experience, meaningful conversations, tons of new information, smiles, big thoughts and small questions to myself... As some of you may know, all that happened in quite an intricate period of my life. Job issues and new ambitions, questions about potential childbirth, global politics and questioning my feelings towards my country and people, general attitude as well – somehow surprisingly all that became my everyday tension since this August and may be called something like “stress occasionally overcome by small nice moments of life but stress anyway”. Not that I finally solved that now, but... life`s going on.

So thanks for attention today. I guess there is not much valuable information about the film here, but knowing how talkative I am... If you are lucky to be around Moscow now or if you know my email address. Welcome, though time, time... Ciao now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this summary.
So you had a nice intense week huh?
It is really good to see that everybody was treating you well and I wish I could experience movie making, expecially if Michele is in it lol.
So you have to be more precise about the meaningful conversations and all.
I don't really care about the 'non'information about the movie, as far as I learn that you had a good time.
I haven't read that book, I am lost in sociology books and other American novels now, so that might not happen before a while. But who knows, maybe one day :)
poka :)
Emilie

Anonymous said...

That's cool so you said they are in Canada? Did you get a chance to meet Michele? she's awesome! Where are they Canada or Belgium?
email me at danae.connolly@gmail.com
Danae

Lana Passey said...

Hello girls :)

Thanks for nice words, Emilie - I know you`re always on my side! I like to feel your support, really))

Danae, message sent. And yes, I met her, and Eric as well.

By the way, don`t kill me cuz I won`t tell right now, but there will be one more surprise in the acting team. I think this secret is worth keeping :)))